Frequently asked Questions
- What does it cost?
- Ever notice how many web sites jump thru hoops to hide their pricing? e-Software-License.com uses a commission model. Your storefront is your customers's computer. Allow them to download your demo software, share-ware or free-ware, and let your customer try before they buy (or donate). Our basic rate is 10% commission. We perform the transaction through PayPal, and send you 90% of the sale. Details are in Terms.
- Who pays the PayPal merchant fees?
- We do. Comes out of our 10%. (So we actually earn less than 10%).
- How does it work?
- Link our library into your application. Choose one or more of the license purchase functions to invite purchase. When your customer chooses to activate, they get a license window with a price list you decide. They go directly to PayPal for the purchase. (So you don't have to do merchant account PCI compliance.) PayPal informs e-Software-License.com the sale went thru. e-Software-License.com activates and records the license.The function returns, telling you the type of license purchased (from your price list). You get paid.
- What can be in a Price List?
- Each software product has a price list you choose. Each Price List has one or more Price Plans, consisting of a Price, and what the customer gets for that price, Number of computers for that price, License "level", Expiration days. Since you decide what each level of license includes, you can add functionality (Pro vs Personal vs Lite), phone support, etc for each level of license you issue.
- Is there a limit on how many Software products I can list?
- No. But there is a limit of 10 products listed that are inactive (not yet being sold). You cannot use another company's name on your software product.
- Is there a limit on how many price plans can be in each Software Product's price list?
- No, but be practical. The customer won't read hundreds of plans.
- Can I see a sample set of price plans?
- Trial license ($0.99), 5 day expiration on 1 computers
5 day trial, Pro Function Level
- Lite license ($1.00), 365 day expiration on 1 computers
1 year 1 computer Basic Function Level
- Personal license ($2.00), No expiration on 3 computers
3 computers, no expiration, Middle Function Level
- Pro license ($4.00), No expiration on 3 computers
3 computer, No expiration, Pro Function Level
- Business license ($20.00), No expiration on 10 computers
10 Computers, No expiration, Pro Function Levels, Commercial use ok
- What if I have many products delivered in one package. Like hundreds. Is this supported?
- Yes. Contact us to explain how.
- What do I do?
- Register for a free account here. (Be sure and confirm your email address to activate your account).
- Look over the Screen Shots here.
- Log in and list your Software Titles to sell.
- Link to our software license library (learn how here
You must register for a free account and log in to download.
- Get your software out there in the hands of your customers.
- We do the rest (perform the sale, activate the software, back the license up, check for updates, provide support form for licensed users, keep your data and email private).
- Is the license check secure?
- Two part answer.
- It is much more secure than keys and key generators, which can be cracked and published.
e-Software-License.com uses a secure server to record purchases, not a key generator. Communications and cached data are all encrypted.
However, your program is physically running on your customers' computers. If they have access to the bits, they can theoretically change the bits.
The best security is when a customer feels they have received a fair price. Once selling software meant printing thousands of boxes, CD's and paper manuals, and physically delivering them through mail or retailers. So people recognize that cost, and may pay $20 happily, knowing the physical box cost $10. Now, you can be selling software via download at no incremental cost per sale. People expect lower prices. You are much better off selling 0.99 cents to thousands than 1 copy at $100. Price your product to sell to the masses, unless it has a very small group of potential customers.
- Are Trial licenses supported?
- Yes. Expiration can be set as little as one day.
- Are multi computer licenses supported? Enforced?
- Yes and Yes. Number of computers per license is set by Software Maker in each Price Plan. Each computer is individually activated, until the purchased computer limit is reached.
- Is volume pricing supported?
- Yes. Example, set your price for a single computer, 2, 3, 5, or 10 computers. Decrease your price per computer as you go up.
- How do I identify a license level to my software?
- It is simply a Software Maker defined integer greater than 0. If you have only one level, you can just test it is greater than zero. How you use the integer is up to you.
- Does my customer have to be connected to the Internet?
- They have to connect to make the initial purchase. After that they can run disconnected from the internet.
- What if I have a different question?
- Feel free to Contact us.
- Which function performs a purchase?
- eslGetLicense() opens a purchase/activation dialog. It returns the license purchased. (If the user cancels, it returns "no license").
- Do I have to write a dialog to ask the user if they are ready to purchase?
- No. (Of course you may.) Several other windows are provided that allow the user to open the purchase/activation window. These are eslSplash, designed to run at application startup, eslAbout, which provides about information, links to Software Titles Home, Help, Support and Download, and eslContactSupport which opens a window to invite purchase for unlicensed users. These three windows all politely encourage purchase.
- What about Automatic Update?
- Update checks the running version against the latest version and latest download YOU list in our software title database. eslCheckUpdate() is designed to run at application startup. For unlicensed users, they get a question asking if update is desired. For licensed users, update is automatic and silent. Of course, your install procedure may require human interaction. You are in control. Offering automatic update to licensed users gives additional incentive to purchase. Download is done in the background and does not block execution.
- Do I need an install program?
- Not if your program is a single executable. Our system will replace the running program with the latest download, after the running program exits. So programs which need no installation are easily updated without an install program. Since it works in place, shortcuts the user created keep working for the downloaded update.
- Do I have to provide support?
- While email support is a good idea for most programs, some, like simple games, may not need it. If you don't offer support simply don't use eslContactSupport(). If you do offer email support, it becomes another purchase incentive.
- There are so many free programs out there, how do I compete with free?
- By offering something free cannot. Like support, unique features, unique content, convenience of automatic update, and last by offering a reminder to purchase.
- A reminder to purchase? What good is that?
- Many freeware, shareware or demo programs don't remind the user to purchase. If a program is well liked and affordable, many end users are happy to pay. So make it REALLY easy to remember and REALLY easy to pay, and you will maximize your conversions to paid customers. eslSplash() is designed to remind the end user in a friendly way, and even allows you to offer limited time promotions they will see at application startup.
- What does my customer have to do after they purchase to activate?
- Nothing, for a single computer.
The software is licensed as soon as the transaction completes.
For multi-computer licenses they:
No keys to type, ever.
- Log in to the next computer
- Click a link in their receipt email to go to e-Software-License.com activation web page
- Run your Software Title on the same computer
- Confirm the activation on the e-Software-License.com activation web page
PayPal is a registered trademark of PayPal.com